Skip to main content

A Brilliant Mind

Visit Our Website                                                        Connect with me on LinkedIn

It’s kind of an inside joke around our office that I’ve been called “brilliant” by a physician for my interpretation of a lumbar MRI.  This story happened several years ago when Stacy Mathis, RN working with me in training, and was my witness!  This physician is known for his eccentric personality, and he went all out to make me feel as though my critical thinking skills really were brilliant!

 I was attending a clinic visit for MMI and PPI assignment of a shoulder and lumbar injury.  The shoulder had been complicated by a postoperative infection, and was now healed.  The lumbar injury had been diagnosed as a strain, although an MRI had been obtained to rule out a disc herniation.  I was expecting a high rating on the shoulder, as the IW did have limited ROM that was permanent.  I was not sure how the physician would approach the disc bulge.   I had done my homework to review the medical file prior to the visit so that I could knowledgeably converse with the physician during the visit.

In the exam room, I could tell this physician was looking to assign additional impairment for the lumbar injury, with a left sided disc bulge revealed on MRI.   I called the physician’s attention to the fact that the IW’s complaints had always been on the right side, which did not correlate with the MRI finding, and therefore questioned how he was certain – without a pre injury MRI for comparison, that the left sided disc bulge were attributed to the work injury.  


The next 10 minutes were very entertaining.  The IW was in her late 50’s, and therefore likely had normal degenerative disc bulges.  He looked through the chart and clinic notes.  The physician agreed with my reasoning and told the IW and my coworker, Stacy, that the general practitioners in his town couldn't interpret a MRI with such logic!  Seriously?  I’m sure the IW was amused – although she was quite accustomed to this MD’s personality.  The physician opined that in the absence of any correlating symptoms or evidence of acute injury(on MRI) with the left sided disc bulge, her PPI for the lumbar spine was 0%.  


The greatest takeaway from this story is the opportunity the CM had to interface with a physician before MMI/PPI was assigned and dictated.  It's not that it was a brilliant deduction, really, but the fact that I was present with the IW and MD when this was being addressed, and I knew the impairment should only be
based on the objective findings as related to the injury.  It's what we do.  The conversation took place right in front of the IW, and she was fine with the outcome.  The IW is much less likely to feel confident that her 0% PPI was correct if the MD had errantly assigned 5% to the body whole, and then after correspondence reversed  it to 0%.  Worth the cost of a case manager?  I'd say so.  The second greatest takeaway, of course, is that I’m brilliant! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIP Conference Drawing

My blog is late in the week, for we all attended the Arkansas Workers Comp Commission Educational Conference this week.  As always, it was full of great presenters and information which I will be excited to share with you.  I cannot tell you how much we all look forward to this conference where we can visit with all our customers and long time friends in the WC arena.  We also love to have a little fun with competition while we're there.  This year we had a general attendee drawing for a lovely lantern, which went to Laura Hopper with AIG,  In addition, we had a very special VIP drawing for a VISA gift card that went to...well, watch and see! A heart felt thank you to everyone that stopped by our booth and especially our VIP drawing participants!

The Head Bone's Connected to the Neck Bone...

My first test in college anatomy we were given a piece of paper with numbered lines, 1-206.  Instructions were simple:  Name the 206 bones in the body.  I made 100% - thank you. Learning anatomy of all the body systems, and the physiology of how they interact is my love in the medical field.  The science of it all fascinates me. There is a logical physiologic reaction to bodily injury, and a RN Case Manager's critical thinking skills help anticipate symptoms and complaints.   If you hit your thumb hard with a hammer, we know you will have pain, and probably stiffness; and if you smashed it good enough, you could have "sympathetic" stiffness of adjoining fingers in the hand.  That is a known physiologic response. Stacy Mathis, RN has a patient with multiple injuries has begun to relate all aches and pains to his MVA.  The problem is, not all his complaints can be physiologically connected to the injury.  This is quite common in catastrophic injuries, but also ha

Injecting a Dose of Excitement

Fresh out of nursing school I worked in a busy Internal Medicine physician group.  I had thought it would be my dream job, but after several months went by, for me it actually became a daily dull-drum of  scheduling tests, refilling prescriptions, and  tearing table paper.  I remember getting excited when a patient needed a joint injection so I could prep and assist with a procedure!  I know that sounds creepy to some.  It's a nurse thing; some don't understand. Nowadays as a Case Manager, it's still a thrill when an injured worker needs a joint injection, or a trigger point injection in clinic; Because I know this is something that will likely give that patient quick relief from their pain, and at the very least be diagnostic to clarify the pain generator.  These injections typically consist of a lidocaine, an anesthetic to numb the area, and a steroid, which acts to reduce inflammation and promote healing.  This is a wonderful thing.   One of the tools we